Can a recipe be inspired by style? This is the question that arose when wrapping Spring 2012: Pear Glace post. Inspirations can come from many places but you never would think it would come from what one wears but there is always room for a first. The idea of “how does this look taste?” needs to be explored further, so a note will be made for the lab. Starting with a few D’Anjou pears, this is was built after some inspiration from Chubette’s Roasted Pear Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette and Gourmet’s Bitter Green Salad with Roasted Pears. This variation is heavier on the proteins with the spinach and scallops and extremely lean so you can feel good about eating this one. The honey roasting of the pear cuts down its sugars so it is left with a light sweetness that compliments the roasted flavor of the turkey bacon which is further neutralized by the goat cheese. The final taste is sublime and ready for Spring.
|Honey Roasted Pear Spinach Salad with Seared Scallops||
- Honey Roasted Pear
- 1 D’Anjou Pear
- 1 tbsp of Organic Honey
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Spinach Salad
- 3 cups of baby spinach
- 4 strips of non-fat turkey bacon
- 2 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinger
- 1 tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup of sliced Red Onion
- 3 tbsp of Goat Cheese (3 cuts from a log)
- 3 Cups of Scallops (approx, 10 pieces)
- 3 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp of Sea Salt
- Prepare the pear: Begin by peeling pear and slicing the pear in half from the stem. Use melon baller to core the center of the pear.
- Using a baking sheet, cover with parchment paper and drizzle the honey and lemon evenly on the pear center core facing up and place in the oven at 350 degrees for 20- 30 minutes.
- At the half mark remove the pears slices and turn over and repeat the lemon honey drizzle until fully browned. Remove pear and set aside for 15 minutes .
- Place turkey bacon strips onto skillet with no oil and cook until brown on both side on high heat.
- Remove from skillet and dice pieces evenly and set aside.
- Prepare scallops by marinating in lemon juice after washing for 30 minutes
- Rinse scallops under cool water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Bring a large skillet to high heat and add olive oil
- Place scallops in skillet and sear brown on each side for 3 minutes.
- While the scallops are searing chop red onion in thin slices and prepare vinaigrette of olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Add the chopped turkey bacon and goat cheese and hand toss salad.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- To plate individually place a portion of the tossed salad on serving plate and the roasted pear in the center and fill the core with goat cheese. Place scallops on each side of salad.