Kumquats are a rare find in late July, however, due to the connection with the local growers, Christiaan Rollich is able source the best of the final crop of the unique citrus fruit to create the “Three two Three.” A simple call from Peter Schaner at Schaner Farms with “hey, Christiaan I have another tree that has some fruit on it” leads to another week of this seasonal treat. Getting its namesake for the original Los Angeles area code, Rollich likes this drink because “everything is homemade.”
- Pinch of Chopped jalapeño to add a bite
- 1 1/2 kumquats
- 2 Ice cubes
- 2 oz Infused Meyer lemon Vodka
- 3/4 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 oz Orange liquor
- 1/8 teaspoon of fresh ginger juice
- Add ice cubes, kumquats and jalapeño to shaker and muddle. Make sure that everything is crushed to a pulp. This is not just a ‘little muddle’ but Rollich assures you not be afraid to add some gusto with your muddler.
- Add the Vodka, infused with Meyer Lemon which is also on their way out for the summer season
- Add the lemon juice on this (yes, more lemon since this is a citrus drink) and Orange liquor
- Add fresh ginger juice, this is super potent so you just need a little
- Make sure that the shaker is cool and shake
- Strain and pour over new ice and remove any fallen pulp.
- Garnish with Mint Leaves and serve
Photos: PLATFORM et cie.